Seymour J Metz wrote:

>IMHO the right way is to log both the time in UTC and the local zone offset.

I don't even disagree with that, although it's a bit late for me to change this
particular item (and it's just debugging info, not likely to matter; the issue
was that people either look at it instantly, in which case the timestamps don't
matter, or they look at it much later, in which case they're trying to map it
to something in the system log, and then the offset is confusing).

I'd note (not Shmuel's fault!) that this suggestion still would have left me
with the original problem: getting the MVS time! (Which, I agree, is a better
term than "local time".) Again, thanks to those who led me to salvation.