Third, it was designed around a specific Unix feature (environment variables).
It needs redesign for use in CICS, IMS and most z/OS components.
Jon.
    On Friday, August 16, 2019, 07:42:44 AM PDT, Seymour J Metz
<sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

 IMHO the right way is to log both the time in UTC and the local zone offset.

From:  Paul Gilmartin
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 23:11:48 +0000, Jon Perryman wrote:

>C offer's localtime and UTC but not z/OS time. The OP wants the z/OS time.

As the OP observed, localtime is not well defined; worst on z/OS.

>"where are you" is too simplistic. Time is relative to the problem being
>solved. C and z/OS take the simplistic approach that there is a single time
>zone involved. C assumes this time zone is customizable where as z/OS has a
>single timezone for the system. The C assumption works well for Unix where
>user's run their programs in a process. This paradigm starts having problems
>in products such as SAP, Peoplesoft and others. I suspect IBM decided on a
>single timezone because z/OS encounters these types of issues.

"single"?  Doesn't z/OS provide two?

There's a right way to address this problem.  Such products should log UTC,
which is always available.  Conversion for display at the users' discretion.
Enforcing standards for such as printed reports is a management issue, not
a systems issue.

-- gil