From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Brian Westerman
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019 10:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: z/OS 2.1 to 2.4 [EXTERNAL]

Yes, you need to have current maintenance on your old 2.1 system, but your
ability to fall back based on what you have stated in your response makes it so
that your fallback (if necessary) will not be an issue for you.  Depending on
your product mix, I think that SAG might have a simple work around for you for
allowusekeycsa(yes), and so long as you are using the Version 8 SVC (which
still supports version 7 Adabas products like cluster services and parallel
services) you will be okay for all but a small number of products.  There are
some products that you will have to update but they are likely minor in your
case (older EntireX Brokers), at least they should be because very little
depends on the actual release of the broker.  There are some special PPT
entries you have to perform as well that depend on your products, but there is
an SAG page that tell you all of them.

The only problem you will hit is with Natural, which needs to be at 4.2.4 to
not need the allowuserkeycsa(yes), this will require SAG's ASM to do this, but
I think it's free.

I have performed several upgrades to old levels of Adabas (back to version 7.1)
for just the Natural component, and they are truly dead simple, and if done
correctly won't require you to recatalog everything in the natural libraries
either (at least not manually depending on how far back you are).  Plus, again
with proper planning, you have a fallback that you can implement within a few
minutes.  Remember if you upgrade Natural, you still have to install ASM.  The
suggested solution SAG is to install ASM Authorized Services Manager with all
versions of Natural that use the older buffer pools and want to convert to
allowuserkeycsa(no).

Brian