On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 at 09:12, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:

> We know the following types/flavours of mainframe processors: regular
> CP, zIIP, IFL, SAP, ICF, older zAAP ...and CBP
> This CBP is visible on Support Element panels. Help says it is "CBPs -
> Displays the active/unassigned container based processors installed on
> your system."
> Container sounds like zCX, however as far as I know zCX use CP or zIIP.
> So, what is CBP?
> Any clue?

I've never heard of this, and I have no access to current Support
Element stuff, but my first guess is that it's for the "z/VSE Network
Appliance" (VNA). This is a lean TCP/IP stack that runs in some kind
of container LPAR (SSC?)and talks to z/VSE in its own LPAR (whatever
kind that is) via HiperSockets, and to the outside world via the
standard network interfaces. I believe it comes as "firmware" that is
loaded into the container LPAR by some SE magic, i.e. not using z/OS
or z/VSE style of administration. More like the way ICF code is
loaded? Maybe a CBP *processor* is available only for such container
LPARs? All just guessing...

Google finds mainstream z/VSE books and various presentations to user
groups and such, with nice diagrams. But VNA seems to have been
discontinued in Sept 2019. We z/OS people rarely think about VSE, but
it's still going strong, and with some very innovative ideas.

Second related guess is that the Secure Service Container (SSC) for
other things (IBM Cloud Private appliance?) can use this processor
type. That doc says you can use only CPs or zIIPs, but who knows.
Still just uninformed speculation...

Tony H.