From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tom Marchant
Sent: 04 December 2019 19:52
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Misuse of the word hexadecimnal (Was RE: COPYING PDS TO PDS ...)

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:01:36 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:

>"Non-printable" (or sometimes non-alphanumeric/national) is the word
>people are looking for.

I disagree. "non-printable" is a term that has little meaning.
Even if you mean "non-printable using a TN print train", for example, that is
only a subset of the 256 possible values in a byte.

The point of using a term like "any hexadecimal character" is to indicate that
all 256 possible values in the byte are acceptable.
It could just as well be "a byte with any hexadecimal value", or "a byte with
any binary value".

--
Tom Marchant

e-mail, and delete this message.