From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 5:03 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Misuse of the word hexadecimnal (Was RE: COPYING PDS TO PDS ...)

It's true, "non-printable" begs the question of "what printer?" I have seen
character sets that included little 2-character "hex" glyphs that could
therefore "print" or represent any byte value. I work mostly in C++ so I tend
to think in terms of the C library. The standard C library has a Boolean
function isprint(). I just looked up the spec for that function and it is so
self-referential as to be useless: Test for a printable character including
space, as defined in the print locale source file and in the print class of the
LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. (i.e., printable means printable). And
I just looked up the Microsoft definition and it is even more convoluted and
effectively useless. Still, I think "printable character" is useful: I think
most people have a good general idea of what it means. But granted it is not so
precise as, say, alphanumeric.

Charles