On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 02:50:53PM +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> I've got manuals much older than that. If I could get them scanned
> for bitsavers then I'd have no interest in keeping the dead trees,
> but I don't know anybody local willing to do it and shipping them
> would be expensive.

You may want to look at so called "pro" scanners, which come with
paper feeder (say, 40-50 pages at one go) and double side
scanning. Since you are going to discard paper after the scan,
unbinding the book should be ok.

As of resolution, if I recall well, Al Kossow of bitsavers wrote he
used 600dpi at the moment, lossless (or maybe ask him a question, to
be sure). But hey, disk space is cheap, and two disks for redundancy
is only twice as that. And Solomon-Reed checksums with, say, 20% of
redund? This is going to be an archive, after all.

I have just bought one such "pro", just the one on the cheap end of
scale. There was plenty to choose from, until I started looking for
one supported by Linux. Still in a box, waiting for me to get ready,
so I cannot say how well the whole feeder thingy works. I just cross
my fingers, hope it will do as I imagine it would or else I am
cooked... because I am a paper hoarder and to make place for new
equipment I have to carve out niche in a heap. The other solution is
to prepare for digging tunnels.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola