I used to think so.  But some years ago - decades ago, now, come to think of
it - we were teaching users how to write their own DYL-280II programs, and
ordering manuals for them as the need arose.  My boss got tired of writing
up purchase orders for manuals one and two at a time (at $150 for a
two-volume set, as I recall), and had me talk to Dylakor about buying a
larger number at a discount.  Say 100 of them, and we'd parcel them out to
the users as part of the classes.

Dylakor was perfectly willing to sell me 100 copies at half price, $7500 for
100 sets.  No, no, I said, I want a ~real~ discount.  I had the idea, you
see, that they were making a lot of extra money on the printing.  They came
back to me a day or two later and made a counter offer:  They'd issue us a
license to print the manuals on-site, and they'd just sell us the loose-leaf
tabs and binders.

Now you're talking!, I said, and went off to our print shop to figure out
what it would take.  Turns out their half-price offer was about what I'd
have to spend to do the printing ourselves.  The lesson I came away with:
Printing is expensive.

---

/* "Bother", said the Borg, "we've assimilated a Pooh". */