On 2020-03-29 7:42 AM, Charles Mills wrote:
I'm looking at Python on the Rocket site.

Practically speaking, is Python usable from TSO or only from the UNIX command
prompt? That is

USS only as it's enhanced ASCII (file tagging). You could call it from TSO using bpxwunix or something similar.

There's no advantage to REXX anymore, as fine a language as it is.
In Rexx under TSO, I can allocate couple of datasets and then run a "legacy
MVS" (you know what I mean) program. Is that practical in Python?

There is no legacy MVS data set support in Rockets Python port. There have been several internal discussions about it and it's on the radar. I don't work
on ported tools so I don't know any more.

Not picking fights here -- inquiring minds just want to know.

Truth is a lot of the guys using Python on z/OS don't know REXX and hardly ever login to TSO. They use a command shell, store their source code in the z/OS UNIX file system and use Git as the SCM. If they want to run a TSO command they can use the z/OS UNIX "tsocmd" command with scripting features very similar to outtrap in TSO REXX.

Maybe the target audience for Python on z/OS just isn't the old guys who have used REXX for 30+ years.

Charles