So

> There's no advantage to REXX anymore, as fine a language as it is.

is not entirely true, right? Three advantages of Rexx would be native support
of EBCDIC, native support of xSAM, and straightforward invocation from TSO?
Right?

Again, not trying to pick a fight, just trying to understand.

Here's my motivation: I am trying to avoid dinosaurization. I am trying to
answer the questions "am I being an old fuddy-duddy for sticking with Rexx over
Python? Should I make an effort to embrace Python for the tasks where I now
tend to turn to Rexx?"

And it sounds like the answer is No. Whatever dinosaurism I exhibit is in
sticking with TSO and ISPF, not in sticking with Rexx. (For what it's worth,
when I speak with customer personnel, 100% of them, to a man or woman, seems to
assume the computer world revolves around TSO for sysprogs and batch for
production -- so it makes sense for me to be most conversant with those
environments.)

It also sounds like learning Python would not be a bad thing, but that it would
probably make more sense to become familiar first on an interactive ASCII
platform, and then perhaps bring the skills I learn there to Z -- rather than
starting out by trying to solve Z problems in an unfamiliar environment with an
unfamiliar language. Would others agree?

Charles