Sounds to me like an argument for Perl.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
David Crayford [dcrayf...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2020 2:22 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: strange python announcement

On 2020-03-29 7:42 AM, Charles Mills wrote:
> I'm looking at Python on the Rocket site.
>
> Practically speaking, is Python usable from TSO or only from the UNIX command
> prompt? That is

USS only as it's enhanced ASCII (file tagging). You could call it from
TSO using bpxwunix or something similar.

>> There's no advantage to REXX anymore, as fine a language as it is.
> In Rexx under TSO, I can allocate couple of datasets and then run a "legacy
> MVS" (you know what I mean) program. Is that practical in Python?

There is no legacy MVS data set support in Rockets Python port. There
have been several internal discussions about it and it's on the radar. I
don't work
on ported tools so I don't know any more.

> Not picking fights here -- inquiring minds just want to know.

Truth is a lot of the guys using Python on z/OS don't know REXX and
hardly ever login to TSO. They use a command shell, store their source
code in the z/OS UNIX file system
and use Git as the SCM. If they want to run a TSO command they can use
the z/OS UNIX "tsocmd" command with scripting features very similar to
outtrap in TSO REXX.

Maybe the target audience for Python on z/OS just isn't the old guys who
have used REXX for 30+ years.