But, if it is something that might happen, we just convert the VSAM file to shareoption-4, which *WORKS* in z/VSE by letting multiple programs update the VSAM file at the same time without any special programming by the programmer. Unlike z/OS which never implemented shareoption-4 as documented in the original design document.

(I had a conversation with a IBM guy that worked on the original VSAM code for MVS(?) when he was at IBM. He said that they just ran out of time getting it to work, so they changed the document so that it was the programmers responsibility to lock/unlock, not the OS. The OS handled it the lock/unlock/wait in DOS/VS). He tried to get them to do it right later, but powers that be said it was out and could no longer be changed.)

Tony Thigpen

Charles Mills wrote on 3/30/20 6:00 PM:
Not beating up on VSE. ("My OS is better than your OS.") DOS/360 was my first
IBM OS.

But the negative -- what OS/360 was trying to avoid -- is deadly embrace. What
if that 5-hour job gets up to the end and then CANNOT allocate the VSAM file?
And worst case, what if the program that owns it is waiting on something the
5-hour job already owns?

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Thigpen
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2020 8:38 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: PARM= vs PARMDD= and symbol substitution

Yes, before the EXEC card.

Actually, there is no 'allocation' of a file by z/VSE during the JCL
processing. The file is only 'allocated' once it is opened and
'unalocated' once the program closes the file.

For instance, if you have a 5 hour program, that just needs to update a
'totals' VSAM file at the end of the 5 hours, as long as the program
does not open the file until it needs the file, any other program can
use, including updating, the file until that time.

So, basically, you 'own' the file only while you have it opened.

One ramification is that you can't create a file simply by having in the
jcl, like in z/OS. You have to open it to create it.

Tony Thigpen