On 2020-05-10 11:33 AM, Tom Brennan wrote:
When will it all settle down to just one programming language?? Ha - I know, never.

Never! The new kid on the dynamic language block is Julia https://julialang.org/.

It's a very well designed language that feels a lot like Lua. Because of the great design it's possible to write a tracing JIT that produces code that runs as fast as C. Parallelism is baked in too. It's becoming very popular in the data science community and is likely to eat into Python
pretty quickly.

The reason new languages keep appearing is because the ones we have now are not that great.