On 24/02/07, Virginia Tupper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > I was watching Alex and Gat trotting during their lesson yesterday and > Gat has a head nod--none of the other horses did. I asked Alex if it > was an up and down nod or a 'V' but she doesn't remember. I'm > assuming that the nod is because she paces a lot? > V
Good eye...it probably took me 6 or so years to realize that. If it is a true clean trot...there is no head nod... If the gait looks diagonal like a trot, but there is a head nod...chances are it's some form of fox trot. Pacey horses have trouble with trot, so if Alex has Gat trotting (even if it's not clean)....well ... give her a hug for me, because that's something I never really succeeded with when riding Hreggur. Trotting really helps to build their muscles and can help them strengthen themselves for gaiting. I'm going to attach that video of Dagur again, notice towards the end that he looks like he's trotting, but there is still a head nod. So what he's doing isn't clean...there is still a soft gait bubbling out. What we're working on next with him is letting him develop a good extended walk. Even though having him gait for us is exciting, we still need to build those baby muscles of his. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7hEYsFePro Wanda (okay...okay...I'll sending in videos of our Fabio)
