--- Judy Ryder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does your horse stand at the mounting block, on a
> loose rein, waiting for 
> you to get on?

Yes, I insitst on it
 
> Is there any fidgeting?

Not usually. 
> Does he walk off or move before you're on, and you
> have to re-align him to 
> the block?

Not very often.
 
> Do you have to have tension on the rein (to hold him
> from moving)?

No, I mount with a loose rein.  Probably not very
safe, but I don't want to accidentlly bang the horse
in the mouth.
 
> Does he stand after you get on, waiting for the next
> request?
 
Absolutely!  But I always do this!  I get on, adjust
my leg position, maybe take a sip from my camel pack! 
Mounting and dismounting are where a lot of accidents
happen, so I insist on the horse standing still for
both, and ALWAYS wait a minute or so after mounting
before moving off.  Also, the first mile or so is
ALWAYS done at a walk going away from home as well as
back home.  It is interesting to note that the only
horses at my house that rush home are the ones who
were not raised there.  My home raised horses have
NEVER rushed home, while the ones we bought already
"broke" do.  Must be the way the former owners rode
them home.  Even my green horses walk the last mile on
a loose rein with their head down and wait patiently
while my mom's horse does circles, stops and backs
because he wants to rush.  HMMMMMM....

Susan in NV

Happy High Desert Trails 

Susan in NV
Nevermore Ranch http://users.oasisol.com/nevermore/








__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Reply via email to