>>> Does your horse stand at the mounting block, on a loose rein, waiting
for you to get on?   Is there any fidgeting?   Does he walk off or move
before you're on, and you have to re-align him to the block?

Yes...MOST of the time.  A few unnamed riders here (one big one in
particular...) aren't so careful about paying attention to this, so walking
off or fidgeting can be a rider-influenced habit/problem if you don't watch
out.   I was surprised to find that Skjoni didn't want to stand for me to
mount when I rode him last weekend, but kept moving to the side  - of
course, I won't name the sometimes-oblivious person who usually rides him.
I'll be digging into that issue, to see if he has a new problem, or it's
just a habit he's gotten into.   His normal rider has been mounting from the
ground, so my mounting from the block might have caught him off-guard.
That's no excuse though...

>>> Do you have to have tension on the rein (to hold him from moving)?

Even for a fidgety horse, which we GENERALLY don't have, I don't like
tension in the rein for mounting.  I think that "trapped" feeling tends to
make things worse.

>>> Does he stand after you get on, waiting for the next request?

I think we're batting 1000 on that one - at the moment.  It's certainly a
priority of ours, but a careless rider can quickly ruin a nicely-trained
horse.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]




Reply via email to