>  > breeding must have a vet certificate stating that the horse "has two
>>  normally descended testicles".  The cryptorchids I've had go back at
>>  least two generations on both sire and dam side through stallions
>>  registered under that requirement.
>
>Lynn, is it known if it comes from the stallion or mare side?  both / either
>/ or?
>
>Judy

Everything I've read on other animals said the mode of transmission 
was unknown and uncertain whether or not it was only inheritance 
(rather than hormonal factors during development in utero in some 
cases).

I just looked at my little herd, and my foundation mare produced one 
cryptorchid (the one that needed abdominal surgery) out of three male 
produce; she also had three daughters that were bred.  A daughter 
that was a full sib to the cryptorchid produced the cryptorchid that 
only needed manipulation to descend (which my repro vet argues isn't 
true cryptorchism).  The same mare produced also produced two normal 
colts.  The two foundation mare  daughters that were by a different 
stallion produced three normal colts between them.  Small sample, no 
clear trend.
-- 

  Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
  http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/
http://www.dslextreme.com/~napha/JoyOfRiding/
http://www.dslextreme.com/~napha/HighPoint/

Reply via email to