>>> Well, it seems to me that there are a lote of "late descenders" out
there in this breed, and they are NOT considered monorchid or cryptorchid
because they EVENTUALLY descend.  However, I think that is wrong.

>From the literature I've read from credible experts, a colt is a
"cryptorchid" if his testicles haven't descended into the scrotum when he's
born, or at the latest, by the time he's a few weeks old.  If his testicles
descend into the scrotum between the age of a few weeks and age three, he's
considered a "temporary cryptorchid" - but still a cryptorchid nonetheless.
If they haven't descended by the time he's three, he's a permanent
cryptorchid.

One thing we need to remember is that a good many colts of other breeds have
both testicles when they are born - I'm not sure I've ever heard of that
with an Icelandic.  As long as the Icelandic community is isolated from
other breeds, we can use whatever terms and rules we want I suppose - but
I'm not interested in living in a "breed vacuum."  That's why I say it
outright: Landi is a cryptorchid...as are a bunch of other colts, from lots
of different breeding - imported and domestics.

Note: I don't know THAT many cryptorchids of other breeds, but the ones I
know are wonderful riding horses - IF they are gelded fully and completely.
ALL of them are nice that I know.  There should be no stigma in owning a
gelded cryptorchid - none at all.  The problem is that the surgery, done
early, is very expensive and has more risks...and if you wait, you risk
accidental breedings, hormonal-driven fights, and it's just plain more
complicated to manage, unless you only own geldings.  Waiting to geld a
cryptorchid Icelandic might be no big deal, IF 1) you only own geldings,
and/or 2) if you have a huge farm to isolate them (hopefully with other boys
to play with) from mares.

Order of magnitude on costs for gelding surgery, which I'm sure may vary
regionally:  Normal gelding: $200-300.  Inguinal cryptorchid: $800-1200.
Abdominal cryptorchid: $1800-2500.  A lot of vets won't geld inguinal
cryptorchids, because most often, they can't tell what they are dealing with
until they cut - they will refer you to a big clinic or vet school.
Therefore, depending on where you live, in addition to the costs, you may
also have extensive travel time, gas, and hotel costs to deal with, for
either of the last two options, not to mention probable antibiotics since
the surgeries are more risky.  That adds up.  Abdominal gelding surgery is
considered major surgery.  Honestly, I haven't heard of any Icelandic's
needing an abdominal "search and retrieve", but maybe there have been
some...?

>>> If the testicles have not come down by 1 year of age, I think you should
consider them NON BREEDING QUALITY and have them gelded.

That's what my gut tells me, based on what I know right now.  Possibly most
of those colts are being gelded now, but something is causing a high number
of cryptorchids in this breed.

>>> Now, will I wait for the testicles to descend before gelding - you
betcha!  Easier on the horse and the pocketbook.

I can't blame you, and you'll probably be fine, since I'm sure you'll be
watchful.  Many/most not-yet-descended colts are probably sterile
anyway...key word: PROBABLY!  That means you will soon have to assume that
he MIGHT not be!  So far, Landi is showing minimal stallion traits, so if
his don't drop under sedation next month, I may elect to try leaving him
with older, bigger geldings for another 6-12 months, to see what happens.
If the vet can't find them after he's sedated, she won't cut. I'll decide
then whether to take him to the vet school or give him more time.  Who
knows - maybe I'll get lucky and his will both be reachable when he's
sedated...

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]




Reply via email to