--- In [email protected], "Virginia Tupper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
wrote:
>
> > In the halter class leggy, showy horses got ribbons--not our
> beautiful, stocky Gat (who trotted along beautifully while Alex ran
> along).
> 

I wouldn't really worry about what the show people think, I'm sure 
Gat did look great. When I was young I wished that I could show, but 
my parents just wouldn't support me in that, in the long run it was 
probably for the best. I got to go to one show, and that was because 
it was held at the boarding stable and we didn't have to trailer 
anywhere:) When I did get to show later, in my late 20's, it took 
about two times to turn me off of it. Not that I didn't do well, 
that had nothing to do with it, out of 3 classes I got two firsts, 
but it's the competition that turns me off, (poor sportsmanship of 
other people) it's really much more important to have a good 
relationship with our horses, let our horses be our judges, that's 
when we really know whether we are doing well or not. Spending time 
with our horses should be a joy, somehow competition has a habit of 
stealing that part away, that kind of pressure doesn't go well with 
really becoming connected to my horses, not for me. I've had fun 
doing a fun show since then, but overall the spirit of it was FUN, 
not so much hard competition, not so much pressure. I think  an 
obstacle course might be fun, but it's connected to what I want to 
do with my horses on my own time, more like a test for the two of us 
to see how we are coming along, so it's not that I think nobody 
should do showing, but I do think our time with horses should be fun.

Kim

Reply via email to