On 6/18/07, Raven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Huginn does the very same thing! I don't know why. But, sometimes, he
> will even eat big chunks of mud.


I was looking online and found an article about 'pica' where horses
eat wood, dirt, manure, etc., and it could be from a deficiency in the
diet or lack of pasture or even stress.

Orri has a mineral block available to him, but not a salt block--maybe
I should get him one of those too.  Orri and Gat are the only horses
with blocks and there aren't any blocks in the pasture--I don't know
why no one else provides them for their horses.

As for the lack of pasture or stress--Orri was kept inside for about a
week while the BO was stringing extra electric to keep him from
getting out and wandering around, so that could be contributing.  He's
able to go out now though.

V

Reply via email to