>>> Metal snaps do add weight but they also have a lot of movement to them
so aren't quite the same.

I've heard that too, but not all have equal movement.  It depends on how bit
the rein loop is on the bit, compared to the "mouth" of the snaps.   Also a
factor is how "floppy" the scissor snap is attached to the reins.  I've
heard people say that they cause vibration on the bit, but you know that
Cary and I are both Engineers...we had to check that out!  We've tested that
a lot and with the smaller scissor snaps that are most often attached to
rope reins, you really can't feel anything, not unless you REALLY swing and
bounce the reins, and then...well the problem isn't the metals snaps at that
point!  There's another kind of snap that I occasionally see on reins that
may have a little effect.   We always ride with scissor snaps on our reins -
there are simply times we want to be able to switch the reins to a halter,
and buckles, slobber straps, and Conway buckles take too much fumbling
around, especially for my arthritic hands.

>>>>Every thing has pros and cons.

Yep, it goes with owning horses.  You can find a downside to everything!
The biggest disadvantage I see with the metal snaps is that most have a
rather low break strength, maybe as low as 80-100 pounds.  But, I'm pretty
paranoid about my horses getting hung up somewhere, and I like to have
"breakaways" in key pieces of tack, so I actually like that.  But, just a
warning to the list.  I don't take a skittish or very young horse for a walk
somewhere he's not comfortable with only one of the little scissor snaps
holding him to the lead line or reins - not unless you are darned sure you
already have his trust and he will come to you if he's spooked or scared and
the snap breaks.  Any reins with scissor snaps probably shouldn't substitute
for a real lead line, except for short periods on a trained and calm horse.


Karen Thomas, NC




Reply via email to