>>> But yes, I do think they saddle rack.  I think they tolt (rack),
foxtrot, hard pace, etc...  I think there's a huge range in our horses and
each one moves a little different.  Some move more stiffly and tend towards
paciness.  Some move with a lot of looseness and tend towards foxtrot or
trottiness.  Some that are stiff don't necessarily lean towards pace, some
that move loose don't necessarily lean towards
trot.  There's just a very wide range of movements and soft gaits within the
breed...

I think Dawn brought up a good point.  I'd never heard the "stiffness" trait
so strongly associated with pace until I got Icelandics.  How true is this?
I guess my gut tells me that a lot of gaited horses get pacey when they are
stiff (or sore, uncomfortable, whatever) but I also see some horses trot
very stiffly - all breeds including Icelandics.  And I guess maybe there's a
certain kind of stiffness associated with a strongly lateral horse, since
they don't use their back muscles the same way a diagonal horse does, even
if the cause is conformational/wiring as opposed to discomfort/tension.  And
I know I've seen some horses who step-pace who appear to me to be less stiff
than some horses who trot... And that Aegidienberger in the video Judy
linked to yesterday - my gut tells me that horse was probably very stiff in
ALL its gaits, judging from the bouncing rider.  (And if so, would that be
from the rider, the riding style, the horse's innate characteristics...?)

I guess my question would be, wouldn't we be better to address stiffness and
innate gaitedness separately?  The way I see it, they MAY be related
sometimes, but often they aren't.  Stiffness usually isn't a good thing at
all, but if it's conformational, there may be a limit to how much we can
clear it up...Whereas a horse like Loftur, who had been carrying a lot of
pain for many years, is MUCH less stiff now than when I got him.  Loftur's
choice of gaits still remains to the lateral side though, although I do see
him trot in the pasture occasionally now.


Karen Thomas, NC




Reply via email to