--- In [email protected], "Judy Ryder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> 
> 
> And some of them, like Raudi, Rodi, Landi, Baersi, etc., do not 
like it; 
> don't care for people, and will never be reliable mounts.
> 

I like to think that maybe even horses like this can maybe learn to 
trust one person. I had a horse for 14 years, not long enough, and 
when I got her, I know she felt no special love for people. She was 
like those horses you see on a rental string, sort of zoned out. She 
would do what she needed to, but she did not particularly feel 
anything for people. She was already and older horse when I got her, 
she had sores on the corners of her lips, from people pulling too 
hard on the bit. Her mouth was hard, pulling didn't stop her. It 
really took many years for her to really, really open up to me. She 
would buck, she loved to go fast, it wasn't right for everyone, 
basically she bucked if you wouldn't let her go fast, and she also 
bucked when she got to going as fast as she could, that was for fun, 
I really believe, a very energetic horse. When she was turned out, 
she would run, and run and run and buck, for a long time:) She 
started to have physical problems, she grew a tumor on her leg, and 
the first time I really remember her really making a connection with 
me, I mean totally, the way all my horses do now, was when I went to 
pick her up after surgery, when she heard my voice, she started 
calling out and just went into a frenzy, she was very high strung, 
not always terribly cooperative about anything, just wanting to keep 
on the move. I really think she started to trust me and understand 
how I felt when I cared for her after surgery, finally opening up. 
After that, she would lay her head on my shoulder in the afternoon 
and rest, it just all changed. Of course this took years, I think I 
may have had her 8 years when this happened. Everything good is 
worth waiting for. It was the most amazing relationship with my 
horse after that. It's not going to happen in 30 day, or even 3 
years maybe, who has a lifetime? It may take that long.

Kim

Reply via email to