>>>> I like to think that maybe even horses like this can maybe learn to
trust one person. I had a horse for 14 years, not long enough, and when I
got her, I know she felt no special love for people.


I've had Loftur for three years now.  I think I made a lot of good progress
with him the first year, finding the right professionals to help me isolate
his physical problems.  This last year, he hasn't had a lot of special
attention.  He gets petted and fed every day, with his feet done regularly,
etc., so he's not neglected, but I have put some other horses in front of
him, since I have so many.  It was really hot yesterday, about 94, so it was
too hot to ride.  I got Loftur out to do some groundwork, and I saddled him.
He was sweaty, so I wouldn't ask a fuzzy, out-of-shape horse to do TOO
much...but I was quite impressed with his attitude.  He was extremely
relaxed, just sweet and cooperative, just as if it were yesterday when we
last played together.

I think people underestimate how long these horses remember things, and how
long it may take for them to become truly comfortable.  Loftur has been
somewhat comfortable since the beginning, but I didn't realize how far he
could progress until I saw it. I still don't think I'll ever part with him,
considering all he's been through, but he really has continued to trust and
settle more and more.


Some of these horses simply need plenty of decompression time.  They may
also need other things - a reason to trust, medical care, new, well-fitting
tack, etc.  - but usually they also need plenty of TIME.  I hate it when
people try to fix these horses quickly, by trying to ride 'em through it.


Karen
Karen Thomas
Wingate, NC



No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.488 / Virus Database: 269.13.30/1025 - Release Date: 9/23/2007
1:53 PM


Reply via email to