>>>I generally just grab some mane, to stay on, and let the horse work
it out.   My instincts tell me that trying to stay steady myself is
probably the best thing I could do for them.  I'm not sure that
taking up contact is going to help them....?


I have wondered about this as my Corrie does stumble once or twice.
She is blind in one eye and a bit lame in one hind. I lead her over
really bad footing. It's not fair to have my weight too. She wears
knee boots as we have some flints in the soil. She is better the more
forward moving she is but one stumble and she's apprehensive again. I
have been told to sit well back and keep a contact. Her owner said
that if her head goes down her body will follow. I think the contact
jabs her in the mouth. She does stumble being led in the paddock and
once we both did. Sandy soil on top of clay is bad when wet. Having
said that she is very enthusiastic trotting up hills and cantering on
a straight. It will be interesting to see what she goes like in my
manege when it is built. Sometimes it takes a bit of courage to ride
her.
Sue


Reply via email to