>>> Why clicker train? I feel that it is good for any relationship to give 
>>> clear 'yes' signal when something pleases me and follow up with a reward 
>>> sometimes.


I've had parrots for about 14 years, so no, I really don't think I 
underestimate their intelligence.  I just don't see any reason to "click" 
them to convey "yes."  My birds clearly understand "yes" and "no" - the 
English words - and use the words themselves, freely.  They will even tell 
another bird, or a dog or cat - or even a human - "no!" if they start to do 
something naughty.  I see my birds like small children...and I wouldn't c/t 
a child.  Instead, I'd use every verbal resource that I could - I'd talk to 
a child, read to them, explain things to them, encourage them to listen to 
conversations with others, so that they can begin to understand life's 
complexities by DEGREES.  That's how I live with my parrots.  There's only 
one word in c/t - the click.  I can understand using the clicker as a way to 
find a breakthrough with a non-verbal, non-language-oriented species.  Why 
use only one word with a species who's so adept at verbal languages, be that 
a child or a parrot?  To me, that's selling their intelligence way short.


Karen Thomas, NC

Reply via email to