>>I have always been told (By professionals like vets) That a horse can hold 
>>1/2 there weight. I know that Icelandic ponies were used for years to 
>>carry adult men.


You might point out that they eat their mistakes in Iceland too. 
Personally, I think we should eat people who are stupid enough to make 
statements like that, but that's another story...I've NEVER heard 1/2 their 
weight!!!!!

 And, past that, Icelanders traditionally didn't ride ONE horse for very 
long periods.  If they were going to be out for very long, they'd often pony 
a couple of spares, switching horses every hour or two.

I put this on my website a few years ago (a very out of date website btw) 
http://windgait.com/WeightCarrying.htm  It's just some of my complied 
GUIDELINES for carrying weight.  I think Judy has this one plus some others, 
on hers.

There is no one indicator of weight-carrying ability, or do any of the 
formulas work literally, all the time.  But, that said, my favorite formula 
is the one that I first read in a magazine a couple of years ago that 
factors in the horse's cannon bone measurement along with the TOTAL weight 
the horse will be carrying - which includes the weight of the rider, the 
weight of the tack and the most overlooked factor, the horse's own weight. 
I'll see if I can find that one, or maybe someone else will forward it.


Karen Thomas, NC

Reply via email to