---- Mic Rushen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: 
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:24:10 -0800, you wrote:
> 
> >How does one put their easy-keeper, pre-disposed ponies on acres and acres 
> >of land without them eating too much and foundering themselves in the 
> >process?
> >I can see this working in the desert, but not where there's any kind of 
> >forage to speak of.   I surely couldn't do it with the acreage and the types 
> >of ponies  I have. 
> 
> Put them on pasture that has never been "improved", never had
> fertiliser added, a good mix of grass, herbs and so on.

You've been lucky with your mare Mic. . . .knock wood.    I hope things 
continue to be good for you and Molda on that issue.   There's nothing worse 
than watching a horse suffer with terribly sore feet.    I told myself I 
wouldn't put Rocky (nor me) through another round of founder like he had two 
years ago . . . It was awful.
  
    But, it's not just lush, "groomed" pastures  or heavy Spring pastures that 
tend to founder a horse.   From what I've read on the safergrass.org website, 
stressed pastures (from drought, over-grazing, etc.) can have very high frutans 
in them too, which is a  big no-no for Cushings, IR, and/or founder-disposed 
horses.  

 I have both so to speak:   VERY lush, green grass in the Spring and fall, 
then, because we're on sandy loam, well-drained soil, a dry-spell will "shut 
down" my pasture for a few weeks mid-summer.   I  haven't done any fertilizing 
of the pasture beyond regular harrowing and spreading of composted manure as 
well as mowing here and there to keep the milkweed in check.  

     Our pasture was a hayfield before we moved here 17 years ago.   The first 
summer, I nearly lost the horses (Quarter horse and Arab) in the grass, like 
your picture.

-- Renee M. in Michigan

P.S.  Congrats on getting to buy that lovely mare you leased previously!

Reply via email to