On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 3:49:53 -0800, you wrote:

> I have both so to speak:   VERY lush, green grass in the Spring and fall, 
> then, because we're on sandy loam, well-drained soil, a dry-spell will "shut 
> down" my pasture for a few weeks mid-summer.   I  haven't done any 
> fertilizing of the pasture beyond regular harrowing and spreading of 
> composted manure as well as mowing here and there to keep the milkweed in 
> check.  

The place I had in Dorset was sand, with summer drought, and we had
the same problems.
>
>     Our pasture was a hayfield before we moved here 17 years ago.   The first 
> summer, I nearly lost the horses (Quarter horse and Arab) in the grass, like 
> your picture.

Ah, but you can't see the type of grass it is - it is not lush rye
grass, but mostly sedge with a thin underlayer of timothy and a lot of
assorted herbs. There's no way you would make hay from it (or at
least, not good hay).

I believe the type of grass (and the ability of the grass to produce
fructans in given conditions) makes the biggest difference. Plus the
weather - our grass never shuts down as we have relatively mild
winters (only a few days below freezing with snow rather rare) and
cool summers thanks to the Gulf Stream, and a lot of rain  thanks to
being on the West coast of Wales....
; )

Mic


Mic (Michelle) Rushen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solva Icelandic Horses and DeMeulenkamp Sweet Itch Rugs: 
www.solva-icelandics.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"

Reply via email to