>. . . We can keep them up in "starvation lots" and control every bite they
get, but gosh, that's got to be so mentally stressful for them. . . .<

 Yes,  sometimes one is faced with selecting the lesser of two evils.   It's
not an easy decision to go against a horse's natural desires, but in the
case of a horse that you KNOW will founder on the grass, it's the only
humane choice IMO.   I *could* try Rocky back on grass since he's on the
pergoglide, but I'm not ready to assume the guilt if he founders again
because of this decision.   And Soley, well, she hasn't had any hoof
problems thus far, but she did test positive for IR.   So, I know there is a
pre-disposition to founder in that case.    I'm trying to take preventative
measures where she is concerned, especially as she heads into her senior
years.   But a little controlled grazing probably would be safe for her at
this point as her weight is under control now.

I am likely going to go to a track system that Debbie in Minnasota on the
list has this coming Spring.   Though Rocky and Soley will still likely have
to wear their grazing muzzles while out there because I doubt I'll be able
to get rid of all the grass, I think it will address some of that mental
stress you mention Karen.    I like the theory behind this system:   It does
make sense to me that a perimeter type enclosure is in keeping with a
horses' urge to move along a "route" during the day.   If nothing else, I
think it will encourage more excercise and be more interesting for them.
Plus, I am betting Eitill and Mystic will get just the right amount of
pasture to maintain themselves from such a set up.

I am hoping this set-up will also relieve me of some of the big, constant,
manure clean-up a paddock situation creates.

-- Renee M. in Michigan



-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.7/1283 - Release Date: 02/16/2008 
2:16 PM

Reply via email to