>>> What really makes me mad is that the "rescue" people my friend just got a 
>>> horse from 
>>> are going to try and make her get a couple colts out of the mare, they are 
>>> novice 
>>> horse people, I just don't know what they could be thinking, even if it 
>>> will be a 
>>> registered horse.


Did I understand that right?   The rescue agency WANTS them to breed the mare?  
Or was 
this a private rescue, not from one of the agencies?  The rescue agencies here 
are very 
much the opposite: you have to sign that you'll never breed the animal.  
(Personally, I 
had no qualms signing that I'd never breed Buck, an infertile and gelded 
mini-mule!  But, 
man, I had also to sign that I'd never race him, and gee, there's SO much money 
to be made 
in mini-mule racing....hehehe)  Mostly, I think that's a very good idea, but 
it's just 
that "never" is a very long time.  I've thought, what if someone adopts a filly 
or young 
mare from a rescue organization, and 10-15 years down the road, the mare proves 
to be a 
one of a kind CTR horse, or hunter pony, whatever.   Every year that I breed, 
the 
responsibilites of breeding hit me a little harder, but I am in favor of 
responsible 
breeding - much better to me to see an exceptional horse (even a former rescue 
or grade) 
bred than a so-so (or worse) horse that happened to be purchased from a private 
party.


I will probably never get a horse from the local "rescue league" again, not 
unless they 
change their current rules.  If you get one, read the fine print carefully.  
There's a 
bunch of nasty politics in the local rescues at the moment, and a local woman 
who was 
acting as the local coordinator for the "official" agency starting taking 
actions not in 
line with the agency's policies, including selecting adoptive homes without 
consulting 
with anyone higher, giving her friends first pick on a couple of the more 
desirable 
horses, etc.   Apparently she adopted out a couple of horses to homes that 
didn't meet 
standards, so now she's started her own rescue agency and she's actively doing 
fund-raisers.  This woman with the new agency doesn't have much horse 
experience at all, 
and some of the things I've heard her doing and approving gives me the shivers. 
 We're 
pretty much off their radar screen right now, thank god, but this has made me 
very aware 
that we are Buck's "adoptive home" but he could still be reclaimed if someone 
had a wild 
hair to do so.   We've petitioned the agency to be granted his permanent 
ownership, but at 
the moment, they don't have a provision for that - they are considering a 
change in their 
rules to allow it.  Buck was probably only three when he and his surviving 
pasture mates 
were seized, and a mini-mule probably has a life-expectancy of 30+ years.  He's 
six now 
and he's lived with us for over three years.  No one who knew him at the 
adoptive agency 
is still with the agency, so no one there even knows him, yet if something 
happened and we 
couldn't keep him, WE couldn't make the decision about who would be most suited 
to give 
him his next home, even though we know him best.  It makes no sense at all for 
him to 
remain a "ward of the state" (or of the agency, whatever) for the rest of his 
life when 
he's in a home that provides good care for him.   Hopefully, we'll get 
ownership, free and 
clear, soon.


In contrast, if you adopt a mustang,from the BLM or another agency, your 
adoption is 
conditional for the first year, and then you are eventually granted 
unconditional 
ownership.  I can certainly understand and support that policy - making sure 
that the 
owners aren't just putting up a good front for the short term - but there needs 
to be 
provisions for the owners to take full responsibility for the horse (or mule, 
donkey, 
whatever) at some point in the not-too-distant future.  One year seems like a 
reasonable 
period to me.


Karen Thomas, NC



Reply via email to