Even 2 or three years of "Fostering" prior to being granted permanent ownership of an animal would be better than always having the thought that the animal could be taken from you at any given time. I think more people would be willing to try taking in a rescued animal if they could at least "see the light at the end of the tunnel". Don't get me wrong, I think that the rescues do need to keep a close eye on the adopters, at least initially to make sure that the animal is in an appropriate home. I just think that once it has been shown that the home is responsible and capable, they should be allowed to make life decisions for the animal. I also think that the BLM's method of dealing with ownership makes sense, but one year is really not very long when you think about training an animal from its wild state.
Pat G., in MN
