On Mon 14/Nov/2022 19:29:10 +0100 Evan Burke wrote:
On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 8:03 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

The exception is a standardised mechanism to allow a sender/signer to indicate the [approximate] number of intended recipients, with which receivers might make fact-based decisions about when to recognise an instance of this particular attack

For a mailing list, this is totally out of reach, unless the MLM itself is the (ARC) signer. Even then, when the MLM knows there are 1000 subscribers, should it extract the average per domain weight? I mean if 500 are @gmail.com and just 1 is @tana.it, should it extract the right figures for each receiver or send a rough total, which smaller mailbox providers cannot use? >>
I disagree, this is perfectly fine. Approximate counts - even with an order of magnitude margin in some cases - would be an effective deterrent against large-scale replay attacks like what we've seen in the past year, where there could be 10s of millions of replays of a single message signature.

I don't get it. For sending, I don't know how many subscribers are there in ietf-dkim. How could I sign an approximate number of recipients in this message?

For receiving, I don't recall receiving millions of identical messages, not even hundreds. Perhaps I received a few ones of those —any further details on that attack would be appreciated. How could I have used a numerical indication, if it had been available at the time?

Best
Ale