On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 7:01 AM Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:

> On 1/19/2024 6:51 AM, Al Iverson wrote:
>
> I'm
> sort of boggling at the attempt to keep potential header changes and
> DKIM oversigning out of the exploit definition and potential solution
> consideration. I just don't think it makes sense to exclude this.
>

> It makes sense because oversigning is sufficient to cover the cases of
> re-posting that 'merely' add header fields, whereas the scenario of sending
> to a collaborating receiver and re-posting a message that has no
> differences except the envelope rcpt-to value, does not have a know
> solution.
>
> Insisting on using the same term for these two different cases has an
> academic purity to it, but has already been demonstrated to be destructive
> in practical terms, because it creates confused discussion.

No, that's exactly backwards. The oversigning case is a subset of the
general DKIM replay case, because mitigation techniques for general DKIM
replay - they do exist, though they are imperfect - also apply to cases
where header addition has taken place. Oversigning is a defense against the
subset of DKIM replay where headers have been added, but not the general
case.