>The other thing to keep in mind was this was back in 1991, when it
>wasn't quite so obvious to all concerned that the attempts by the NSA
>and FBI to restict encryption was as misguided and as futile as it is
>now.  So what is obviously stupid and ridiculous behaviour on the FBI's
>part in 1999 might not have been so ridiculous eight years ago.  As I
>recall, back then the FBI was still trying to figure out how to spell
>"Internet", let alone figure out what it meant.

Folks,

I realize that FBI-bashing is _de rigeur_ these days, and I'll admit that I find
that a certain (small) percentage of what I've seen in print is justified, but
I'd also like to state for the record that I'm quite familiar with the average
rank-and-file FBI Special Agent, and know the overwhelming majority of them to
be decent, honest, hard-working folks who have an amazing variety of crap dumped
on them every day from a lot of different directions.  It's true that only now
are they starting to get a decent comprehension of the vast jungle that is the
Internet, but if you'll look at what Congress allocates them to use to pay
salaries, you'll understand one of the reasons that FBI Agent is not high on
most CS majors' list of prospective careers (being shot at on a regular basis
and called every name in the book by people who think all federal law
enforcement is evil are high on the list, as well).  In the field offices, a lot
of the day-to-day cybercrime stuff is handled by accountants and other
white-collar crime investigators who came to work one day and found themselves
assigned as computer crime cops.  If they're lucky, they might be able to talk
HQ into giving them some training.  Eventually.  Of course, they still have to
take turns on SWAT and other special duties, as well (and you don't get "combat
pay" in the FBI).  My response to this situation has been to volunteer to help
educate them whenever possible, and answer questions they have if I can.  You'd
be surprised how much difference you can make, if you try.

While I think that continuing constructive critical dialogue is essential to the
health of the nation and its government, I also think that acknowledging the
fact that most FBI agents do the very best they can with what they have is
important, as well.  It's satisfying and entertaining to criticize cops and call
them stupid, but my guess is that we'd be a lot worse off without them...

Just my opinion, of course.

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell
Internet Technologist