At 06:21 PM 12/6/00 +0000, Graham Klyne wrote:
>BTW, the basic tenet of end-to-end connectivity of data and services is, I
>think, satisfied by the IP layer.  Part of my question was about the
>extent to which this end-to-end-ness needs to be duplicated at higher layers.

Not sure whether this is a distraction -- hence the modified Subject -- but
I do NOT consider an end-to-end mechanism at one level to be sufficient,
when talking about end-to-end at another level.

Lower layers must support the e2e requirements of the layer under
discussion, but those lower layers do not satisfy the requirements by
themselves.

If the layer under discussion, in this case the DNS application, does not
support e2e, then the fact that IP does does not buy much.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464