the bggest problems with security ssytems are generally 90% to do with
design errors at level 10 (human, not policitcal, economic,
application, transport etc)

it would be interestign to run a _real_ experiment in 3 types of
voting (comuter based, networked computer based and traiditional) and
see if the results came out the same - it should persist for several
decades before one could believe that any adaption in the
democratic process hd factored in human behavioural bias .... imho

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ed Gerck typed:

 >>Kai Henningsen wrote:

 >>> Indeed. The way you have it defined, both are one half of what must be
 >>> achieved (impossible to identify voters, and impossible to identify
 >>> votes), with both halves completely meaningless in isolation (which is why
 >>> a traditional paper vote does achieve the combination, but neither half in
 >>> isolation). Whereas the way most people define this, the two terms are two
 >>> names for the same thing, which is the whole (it must be impossible to
 >>> determine who voted what). The correlation is the problem, not the
 >>> isolated facts.
 >>>
 >>> There is more obfuscation like that in your "16 requirements". Not what
 >>> I'd consider a recommendation.
 >>
 >>Unless we define and isolate the concepts used, it is nearly impossible to
 >meaningfully
 >>deal with them. This is basic scientific method.  Thus, making a clear distinction
 >>between "secrecy" and "privacy", as well as between "identification" and
 >>"authentication" and "non-repudiation" is at the heart of the matter here. Doing
 >>otherwise is obfuscation -- "to make obscure."

 >>> Grand. It withstood network level attacks. That's about the most
 >>> meaningless test possible - all it proves is the quality of the TCP stack,
 >>> it tells absolutely bloody nothing about the voting system itself.
 >>
 >>Forestalling  Denial-of-Service attacks was unheard of and called "impossible"
 >>in Internet voting until we showed how it could be done in one specific network
 >>configuration useful for elections in precincts.  There are other configurations
 >>where it can be done as well, as we shall show in the future.  This was one
 >>Holy Grail in Internet elections, and we got it.
 >>
 >>The same applies to other 7 attack types mentioned -- so this was no easy feat
 >>for 5 days, 24 hours/day attacks, with full disclosure and a help line.
 >>
 >>Conclusion of the test: "Internet" does not mean "insecurity".  Just because
 >>it uses the Internet it does not mean it MUST be insecure.  Contrary to lore,
 >>Internet communications can be made arbitrarily safe and reliable
 >>(Shannon) if you take into account all the systems connected to it.
 >>
 >>The first step is to recognize that any communication channel has a boundary,
 >>which is quite arbitrary. By properly recognizing the sub-communication channels
 >>inside a boundary and by properly placing such boundaries, the point I make is
 >>that it is possible to have the communication system (roughly):
 >>
 >>registration --> voter --> ballot box -- > tally --> report
 >>
 >>as error-free, anonymous and secret as anyone else may wish (Shannon).
 >>Here, the systems connected to an Internet-base channel are not ignored.
 >>They are taken into account and with adequate error-correction channel(s)
 >>(Shannon).
 >>
 >>Again, this is a lot easier in the praxis for precinct-based Internet voting.
 >>Which is all we are talking about at this time.  Home/office-based Internet
> [...]

 cheers

   jon