On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 10:44:47PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
> it's hardly surprising that professional network administrators are more
> likely than the average home user to understand the limitations of NATs,
[...]
> a significant percentage of the folks who will drive v6 deployment will
> be those who have learned about those problems the hard way and are in
> need of a real solution. they won't be fooled again.

Keith,

It has been my experience that many of the current network admins
today believe NAT is the de facto way of connecting to the Internet.
In fact, in one of the network classes I teach, it takes a lot of
convincing on my part to show that NAT offers them very little security.
Most net admins today have only seen a world through NAT eyes so they
don't see the benefits of not having it.

If you want people to live in a world without NAT, I think you have
to have the killer application that simply will not function properly
with it.  This is much more difficult than it sounds.  As hard as
people like the IETF try, many new network protocols will continue
to fail if 1) legacy applications are not supported or 2) killer
applications are not available to drive the demand.

John