You forgot that the ISOC funds the IETF, and currently the ISOC has
financial difficulties and that its priority is to fund the IETF, which I
fully support.

Most of the membership money from ISOC is directed towards the IETF by the
organisation members.I do not know what is the amount here, but I suspect
that all platinum and gold members pay to fund IETF at USD100,000 or
USD50,000 a year. I think there is already a USD1-2M fund towards the
IETF...

A light trademark conformance program as Kyle is proposing would allow ISOC
to focus on other issues than funding the IETF, and therefore trully work on
their "Internet is for Everyone" vision. May I remind that ISOC has only
8000 inviduals members.

Kyle, I think the solution to the problem is to bring the problem to the
next ISOC meeting (inet2002) and especially to the IAB. This discussion
involves more people than the IETF only. You have to leave the IETF do what
it does best: work on standards. But the IETF needs to agree that such
trademark system could be implemented by the parent organisation: ISOC.

IAB meetings and ISOC board meetings are very interesting. Kyle, attend one
of them in June www.isoc.org/inet2002/

May be all people interested by the subject should meet there, discuss, and
act.

Check www.isoc.org

Franck Martin
Network and Database Development Officer
SOPAC South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission
Fiji
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Web site: http://www.sopac.org/
<http://www.sopac.org/> Support FMaps: http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/
<http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/>

This e-mail is intended for its addresses only. Do not forward this e-mail
without approval. The views expressed in this e-mail may not be necessarily
the views of SOPAC.