At 8:49 AM -0800 1/23/02, Kyle Lussier wrote:
><snip>
>If I become a bad vendor, then people in an IETF
>WG can move to yank my logo.  There should be a process for
>the "yanking" of the logo that is very fair, and arguably
>should happen over a period of time, be pretty lenient
>and give vendors more than ample time to "do the right thing."
><snip>

Whether or not the idea is good or bad, it is not really workable
within the IETF structure.  IETF working groups close down after they
finish their work.  So if the xyz WG spends two years developing the
XYZ protocol gets in into an RFC, the xyz WG usually then ceases to
exist, and their may not be any other WG with a special focus on the
XYZ protocol.  So there will not be any WG or other group that would
be appropriate to "police" the use of the XYZ protocol.

It also would not work for WGs, after they complete their chartered
work, to continue to exist just to adjudicate compliance with the
relevant protocol.  The IESG supervisory structure already has its
hands full and could not supervise an ever growing list of WGs, and
in any event 95% to 100% of the people who formed the core of a given
WG would move on to other "active" working groups.

So the idea is not something that could be easily grafted onto the
IETF as it now exists.

John Morris

John Morris // CDT // http://www.cdt.org/standards