I have had cab drivers in the US try to force me to pay cash
in similar situations. Saying they don't accept credit cards and
then, when I say that's all I have, telling me how much longer
it will take to get me out of their cab if I really want to use
a credit card. In these cases I just kept insisting on the card
and eventually (like, within a minute) all was settled the way I
wanted it to be settled: with the credit card.

  It may seem anachronistic to some, but the rule of law does
apply in the US today and asking to have a police officer settle
the dispute is a good way of getting quick resolution. If all
else fails maybe taking a picture or two (driver and taxi permit)
with a camera phone might tend to elicit a change of attitude.

  Dan.