I think it's really all about the credit card fees.  Cab drivers, at least in
the US, are often on a small enough margin, with high fixed costs, that the few
percent taken by the card companies can be the difference between a worthwhile
and a wasted fare.  Next time a cabbie doesn't want your card, offer him 10%
more and watch him change his tune.