--On Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:49 -0700 Joel Jaeggli
<joe...@bogus.com> wrote:

> On 4/21/11 10:38 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>>

>> On 4/20/2011 2:21 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>> In the case of the IETF Chair I believe the issue is that
>>> it's highly desirable, from a governance viewpoint, that the
>>> IETF Chair has *personal* responsibility in IAOC decisions,
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> What happens if the person in that role is not specifically
>> "accountable"?
>
> We have the potential for disconnect between the business of
> the ietf and the business of running the ietf. We had that
> before so it's not a hypothetical scenario.

But, if it is the "business of running the IETF" that we are
after, why is it better to try to blame/ hold accountable one
individual than to hold the IESG accountable and let them manage
the question of who goes to IAOC meetings as they (with the
Chair's active participation in the IESG discussions) think fit?
There is nothing in any of our document that either crowns the
IETF Chair King or endows him or her with divine guidance or
wisdom.

>> And by the way, what does it mean to be accountable in the
>> way that you consider so important?
>
> It means that the ability to perform the iaoc function is a
> consideration for filling and retaining the role of ietf chair.

And that takes us back around the loop of requiring that the
criteria for selection of the IETF Chair include a combination
of skills and interests that we are unlikely to find, ability to
devote unlimited time and attention to the job (and I mean
"unlimited" as in ability to create and utilize 32 hour days),
and resources to match.  It also suggests that Nomcoms are able
to understand all of those skills and optimize for all of them
at once, choosing from the relatively small number of people who
meet the criteria.   Noting that Russ has done, IMO, a
superhuman job of balancing the various tasks and demands that
we've placed on him but is still feeling overloaded, you will
forgive me if my reaction to imposing those requirements as
minimum conditions on future candidates is a little skeptical.

      john