> I pretty much agree, although one form of discuss might be
> reasonable: "This document needs to be recycled at Proposed
> Standard because of the following *observed* interoperability
> problem:...".
>
> In other words, once we have got this BCP out (soon, please),
> the IESG should update the DISCUSS criteria specifically to
> narrow them for the PS->IS transition.

I also pretty much agree, and the IESG discuss criteria document
(http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html) would certainly
benefit from a respin to provide guidelines for -bis documents and
documents advancing further.

However, as with most things I don't think there are hard and fast rules.
I can imagine a very old RFC being respin or advancing where I'd want some
rework. For instance, a vulnerability that was discovered after the
orginal RFC should be described, perhaps even dealt with somehow.

Jari