Brian,

So far you are the only person that has responded with substance. Other
feedback was promised but never arrived. I hope to rev this document shortly so
that we can finalize it before the Taiwan meeting.

I wrote:
>> Based on the discussion I've updated the draft:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kolkman-iasa-ex-officio-membership
>>
>> Essentially I incorporated Dave Crocker's proposal to
>> 1) replace the 'chairs' by voting members appointed by the respective bodies.
>> 2) allow the chairs to participate in all meetings and provide (unsolicited)
>> advice.
>>
>> I believe that allows chairs to exercise their responsibilities of keeping a
>> coherent perspective of the organization an allow them to steer outcomes if
>> needed, but doesn't require the day-to-day involvement that is required from
>> a diligent voting member.

You responded:

> And it therefore removes the two Chairs' shared responsibility for decisions
> of
> the IAOC and the IETF Trust. I am still far from convinced that this is a good
> thing.

That is correct, under this proposal the chairs don't have voting
responsibilities in the IAOC. And while I argue that the chairs can 'steer' as
ex-officio I understand that is something you are either convinced off or not.

> Also, the new section 2.3, which is incorrectly titled but presumably
> is intended to be "IETF Trust membership" seems to me to be inconsistent
> with the Trust Agreement. The Trust Agreement states that the Eligible Persons
> (to become Trustees) are each "a then-current member of the IAOC, duly
> appointed
> and in good standing in accordance with the procedures of the IAOC established
> pursuant to IETF document BCP 101 [as amended]". That doesn't exclude the
> non-voting members of the IAOC, which is why the IAD is already a Trustee.
> To change this, the Trust would have to change the Trust Agreement. To be
> clear,
> I'm not saying this can't be done, but it can't be ignored either.

Yes, it is incorrectly titled.

As far as I understand the trust agreement the voting members and the IAD are
members of the trust. If the 'chairs' are non-voting members of the IAOC then
the idea is that they would not be trustees and a modification of the trust
agreement is not needed. That can be clarified.

If the chairs should be trustees (are you arguing that?) then I agree, a trust
agreement modification is needed.

--Olaf

http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/