Jari,

On Sep 21, 2011, at 5:50 PM, Jari Arkko wrote:

> Bob,
>
>> Goggle translate was helpful here :-)
>>

> Good... and next time when we meet over beer I can reveal the correct
> translation :-)

Cool!

>>> I do like your idea that IAOC itself needs to work smarter though. It
>>> should really be just a board, not the guys doing the actual work. As an
>>> outsider, it sometimes feels like you guys are doing too much. In any case,
>>> if you and Bob think this would be a good direction for the IAOC to take,
>>> can you comment how feasible it is? Has it been tried, could it be tried?
>>> (And shouldn't it already be done if it was easy?)
>> I am not sure what you mean by the members of the IAOC doing the actual
>> work.  The IAD does most of the work behind the scenes.  That includes
>> writing RFPs, motions, budgets, SOWs, agendas, works with the volunteer
>> minute takers to produce the minutes, organizes contractor reviews,
>> negotiates with contractors, works with ISOC finance department, works with
>> legal council, organizes conference calls and meetings, etc., etc.  The
>> secretariat does the leg work to collect information on venues, costs,
>> hotels, etc.  The IAOC voting members review, comment, approve/disapprove
>> things, but that's not where most of the real work is.  The voting members
>> are responsible for the decisions and actions.  I want to make it clear that
>> most of the actual work is not done by the voting members.   Given the
>> source of our members, we do tend to get involved in details for better or
>> worse.  The IAOC (and Trust chairs) have a bigger load than the rest of the
>> voting members.
>
> This all sounds good. But do you agree that workload for the chairs is an
> issue? Because I thought Jonne was saying that it is an issue and the
> solutions should come from a better organization within the IAOC rather than
> from Olaf's proposal. But if I read the above, it almost sounds like you
> think everything is done pretty much as well as it can be done, and there's
> little to change. Up-leveling the discussion: I guess we need to agree about
> the problem statement before we can talk about the solutions.

Firstly, I was correcting your assertion that the IAOC voting members were
doing most of the work.

I am sure things can be improved, but I don't think the work load of the IAOC
voting members is onerous.  Certainly, less than, for example, being on the
IESG.  It's not a full time job.  I think there is a reasonable balance between
what the IAD and contractors/staff do and the IAOC voting members, not perfect
of course.  It may be working better now than earlier.

I do agree that there are issues with the load of the I* chairs.  My issue is
with this solution.

Bob