Hi Randy and Brian,

I am sure the discussion of the discussion has been had before, but:

> > IPv4 provides no mechanism whatever for addresses greater than 32 bits.
> > Therefore, mathematically, there is no possible design for an IP with
> > bigger addresses that is transparently backwards compatible. We've
> > known that since at least 1992.
>
> i guess you forget the discussion of variable length.  i hope we don't have to
> rehash it here.
>
> decisions were made.  some were quite bad.  v6 had some real zingers.
> remember tla/nla?  no feature parity, such as dhcp (a war which has not
> finished)?  it is almost as if it was designed to fail.
>
> randy

I think that the compatibility issue is a key reason why adoption has been
difficult.

Others are:

No compelling IPv6 only features
-> From my reading several key features were directed at IPv6 only originally,
like IPsec.  Successive works to provided all non-address IPv6 features in IPv4.
-> This in part is being addressed by helpful capabilities such as DHCPv6PD
(although we could kill things entirely by back porting this to IPv4 ;-)

No local use benefit
-> Ostensibly deploying IPv6 only gets you (slightly) more work.
-> compare this to transformative technologies such as Ethernet and IPv4, which
had a better price point and enabled new local capabilities, which did not rely
on neighbours adopting the same protocol.

Of course, these are short-sighted analysis.

Being able to uniquely address a peer device is a key benefit which we will see
drive adoption once 103.X/8 is gone.

Another key benefit is local addressability which handles organizational
merges/changes/private peering with ULAs (resolves the RFC-1918 collision
problem).

For a few years I have been involved in an extremely pragmatic market where
people want to see the money they will save by deploying a networking
technology.  What would get my customers adopting would be a compelling TCO
argument.

Sincerely,

Greg Daley
Solutions Architect