At 10:51 12-08-2012, Stewart Bryant wrote:
If I interpret what you seem to be saying, it is that you care
more for the micro-observance of IETF protocol, than
taking steps to avoid Internet governance being
transferred by government decree to a secretive
agency of the UN that runs by government majority.

Several hours ago the IAB approved collaboration guidelines with "a secretive agency of the UN which is run by government majority". The US has already stated that it "will not support proposals that would increase the exercise of control over Internet governance or content" ( http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/othr/telecom/196031.htm ).

Internet governance is somewhat like political prostitution ( http://political-prostitution.com/ ). If the governments of the world want to fight about that for the benefit of humanity, it is their choice. I don't see why the IETF has to get into a fight about Internet governance. It is ok if the IETF Chair wants an affirmation supported by various SDOs to thrust under the nose of delegates in November. I understand that in some venues the only way to be heard is to make pompous speeches.