On 26 Jul 2013, at 23:31, John C Klensin <john-i...@jck.com> wrote:

> --On Friday, July 26, 2013 22:48 +0100 Tim Chown
> <t...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> That means the charter agreed from the bashing of the draft
>> charter in the previous 40 minutes, not that a charter is
>> already agreed.
>
> If there is something to be bashed for those 40 minutes, I'd
> expect a link to at least a skeleton first draft. I note that
> draft charter does have a link from the meeting materials page,
> just not from the agenda.   But, modulo the comment below, that
> is a matter of taste to be working out between you, Ralph, and
> the IESG.

The draft charter was placed where they usually are, on the BoF wiki.  But I
added a link to a specific draft charter file when I updated the agenda, see
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/87/agenda/dnssdext/.

The other "problem" for mdnsext is that the second BoF has been given a
different name, for various reasons, but that does make it a bit harder to
locate the mail list and draft.

>> True. Though the chair names are on the posters linked in the
>> materials page, which I assume is well-advertised to newcomers
>> as access to slides is rather important.
>
> As far as I know, the only "advertisement" is the link from the
> "Agendas and Meeting Materials" section of the main meeting page
> and the similar links from the Meetings entry on the IETF home
> page.  Now I'd personally like to see the "New Attendees"
> category on the main meeting page changed to "New Attendees and
> Participantes" and then including a link to a page that would
> give hints about where these things are and how to navigate
> around them.  But that fairly clearly won't happen before Sunday
> and YMMD.

Well, I would certainly agree that the meeting materials page/area needs to be
well advertised, if it isn't already, but I don't know what additional
information newcomers are pointed at, not being one.

>> And also on the BoF wiki, which you should know about.
>
> Yep.  I know about it and where to find it.  But, as I explained
> in my note to Brian, I'm a lot more concerned about newcomers
> and remote participants without years or experience than I am
> about what I can find if I remember all of the reasonable places
> where I might look.

While we/you can try to guess what the problems are, it may be better to
surveymonkey those who registered as newcomers in a couple of weeks and ask
them about their experience, whether they were aware of certain things, and
what could be done better.

Tim