I attended meetings 36 through 62 in-person, missing about 1 in 4. I've never
attended a meeting in asia-pacific, as about half were paid out of my own
pocket,   That was in the days of multicast, and I never got an mbone tunnel
working, although Joe Abley and I once *saw* them in tcpdump go past us on
the ethernet at ISC, but not get relayed through our tunnels.
Between 63 and 80, I managed to attend 1 in 5, and this one is the first I've
missed since 80.  I missed it because, my WG didn't need to meet, I had no
money, and it abuts an important long weekend. (I got to walk out in 3min)
I have generally good experiences with our remote participation.
Some problems recently:
1) the audio feed started at exactly 9:00 on Monday  A problem if you need
   to check your equipment. I also interrupted at exactly the start time
   of the session, and it took me 20-30s to realize it, and up-arrow-return.

2) Slide decks were late.  PPT(x) files are annoying and inconsiderate.
   Consolidated slide decks are wonderful, even if the agenda order is
   changed.

3) audio delay makes hums via jabber meaningless.

John C Klensin <john-i...@jck.com> wrote:
    > We regularize remote participation [1] a bit by doing the
    > following.  At some level, if remote participants expect to be
    > treated as serious members of the community, they (we) can
    > reasonably be expected to behave that way.

    > * A mechanism for remote participants should be set up
    > and remote participants should be to register.  The

+1. And I would pay a fee.

    > * Remote participants should have as much access to mic
    > lines and the ability to participate in discussions as
    > those who are present in the room.   That includes

Yes... but I think it might be worth recognizing that in badly run meetings,
access to the mic is a problem to those in the meeting too!  Multiple roaming
wireless mics, and mic-control from the chair would help here.
I.e. let's use the technology for mic-line-up for everyone, local and
remote.

    > * It is really, really, important that those speaking,
    > even if they happen to be sitting at the chair's table,
    > clearly and carefully identify themselves.

+1

    > * On several occasions this week, slides were uploaded
    > on a just-in-time basis (or an hour or so after that).

Agreed.  I'd like to have this as a very clear IETF-wide policy.
No slides 1 week before hand, no time allocation.

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [